FC Koln chief Thomas Kessler addresses collapsed Said El Mala transfer to Dortmund
FC Koln sporting director Thomas Kessler has confirmed that talks for Said El Mala's move to Borussia Dortmund ended without an agreement due to valuation differences.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC BY 2.0 / Author: dronepicr
FC Koln sporting director Thomas Kessler has clarified the situation surrounding the failed transfer of Said El Mala to Borussia Dortmund. Despite intensive discussions held during the summer window, the clubs could not reach an agreement regarding the valuation of the 19-year-old winger, effectively ending the potential move.
Kessler emphasized the professional nature of the dialogue between the two German clubs. "It had been clear for several days that we weren't going to reach an agreement, it didn't come out of the blue for us. It was simply the outcome of very respectful discussions between the two clubs. That's football - you don't always manage to find an agreement," he stated.
I don't see any disappointment in him. I'm in touch with Said almost every day, and we speak very openly about the situation. And judging by the way he conducts himself and wears our shirt, he's clearly very proud to be a Cologne player. Thomas Kessler
While the Koln hierarchy acknowledges that a move to a Champions League side is an understandable ambition for a talent of El Mala's age, Kessler reiterated his conviction that the player will remain at the RheinEnergieStadion for the upcoming campaign.
El Mala has an immediate opportunity to demonstrate his focus on the pitch, with FC Koln set to face Wurzburger Kickers in the DFB-Pokal first round on Monday, August 24. A strong opening performance will be crucial for the team to build momentum early in the season.